Saturday, January 9, 2016

Scrapbook Layout: Purrfect Gift

Hello Lovelies!
I hope everyone had an AMAZING time during the holidays.  :) 
Happy 2016!!!
 
I*m just now scrapping my December photographs.  Originally I had planned to make a December Daily, a page for each day of the month, after the holidays when I had more time. 
Well...
After evaluating my journaling and photos I had a little problem.  For the most part I was good about keeping a journal entry everyday, BUT most of my photos were of my kitten or I just forgot to take pictures.  oops..
 
My new approach, revert back to traditional scrapbooking (12x12) and focus on stories that are important to me in no particular order.  I*m also going to mix in project life sleeves for tidbits like Q&A and lists. 
 
Enough talking about my little dilemma, lol, on to more fun things.  :)
 
Purrfect Gift

I absolutely love this layout.
Last night I worked on a few Christmas cat layouts (lol) and I came across this paper from the paper pad "Joyful" by Mambi.  It screamed fun and playful.  I knew I wanted to use Christmas doodles for embellishments but I wasn*t positive about the color.  Use pops of red or keep it purely monochrome.   As you can tell I chose the latter.  I wanted my photo to jump off the page then have your eye gradually discover the fun elements on the page.
 
 
First I sketched my doodles and title in pencil.  Then I outlined them with a black sharpie pen.  For my title I intentionally made the letters gradually increase in size to fill the dead space toward the upper right half of the layout.  I also decided against cutting out each individual letter because I was afraid they would get lost in the busy background, so I opted to paint the background with black apple barrel acrylic paint. 
*NOTE*
When using paint, don*t forget to clean your brush occasionally while you are painting to prevent paint buildup in the bristles.  Just dip it in water and wipe it on a paper towel to remove excess water. 
 
 
 For the background I just had fun with it. 
First I roughly placed my embellishments on my layout so I would have an idea where everything would go.  To me, I liked when my embellishments were clustered close to the purrfect.  Then I removed all my embellishments so I could add some mixed media.  
*NOTE*
If you loved your embellishment placement but you have to remove them for some reason, take a photo of the layout so you have something to reference.
 
Yay, mix media!!!  I mixed modeling paste with a little bit of black to create grey.  My go to stencil was by Tim Holtz called Bubble (circles) and I just applied the paste with a palette knife like applying butter to toast.  Remember, a little goes a long way. 
 
Then I splattered "Black Velvet" Color Shine all over my layout except for the top left and bottom right corners.  To prevent splatters in those areas I just laid scrap paper down as a mask. 
 
After everything dried, I started setting up my page again with all the embellishments.  For a fun effect, I popped the small doodles up on mounting tape.  The snowflakes are punched out of vellum and sewn on with a zig zag stitch.  I also adhered little rhinestones in black and clear by The Paper Studio for more of a whimsical feel.  To stay with the black and white scheme I needed to back the word "gift" because it got lost in the background.  This was probably the hardest thing for me on the entire layout.  Nothing looked quite right.  I tried a rectangle, doily, punches, etc.  Then I ripped some white  paper and I really liked the texture of the fibers without being too demanding on the page. 
 

 
The final area I focused on was the embellishment cluster on the photo of me and my sweet kitten.  All I did was punch a semi scalloped circle from glitter cardstock and punch a tab from white cardstock.  I also took a Q-tip and used it as a dabber to apply black ink around the edge of the tab.  Typed "Gizmo & Meg" and backed that with the same glitter cardstock as the scallop circle.  I took some black thread, wadded it up, and placed it between the scallop circle and tab layers.  To keep the thread in place I stapled the layers twice with my Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher.  

On the back of the layout I wrote my story about the photo with the month and year.   
 
 Thank you for stopping by!  Hope you have an amazing day.  :)
 
Ohhh... before I forget, be on the lookout for my FREE Valentine printable.  It should be available soon.  Yay!!!
 
-Hugs,
Meg
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment